Hamilton was the first town in the area.
Established as a rural community center.
Hamilton established a Post Office
Hamilton was described as a typical western town, one store, a blacksmith shop, and a school house.
Northern Pacific RR 1 mile north if Hamilton
- The settlement that followed the RR was named Moreland after the man who endorsed the Moreland Irrigation Canal.
- John Potter's General store moved from the old town of Hamilton to Moreland in the winter of 1883-84
- They moved the structure with teams of bulls.
- Population 150.
- First Public School.
Manhattan Malting Co. until prohibition act of 1916
- Capacity of 475,000 bushels
- Largest facility from St. Paul to Seattle
Blacksmith shops booming.
- Strong ranching & agricultural economy attracted blacksmith from surrounding areas.
Work commenced on the installation of a town water system.
- Manhattan officials enjoying their first term in office.
June 27, 1925 Manhattan was hit with a series of earthquakes causing damage to over half of the Town's structures.